The human body needs multi-minerals more than vitamins. And while minerals can function in the body without vitamins, vitamins cannot function in the body without minerals. Minerals are essential for all cellular activity and organ and system functions in the body – electrically, glandularly, hormonally, etc.
Consume High-Quality Bio-Available Multi-Minerals
It is important that humans supplement with high-quality bio-available multi-minerals as our soils have long been depleted of minerals and farmers only add a few (chemical versions) into the soil while our bodies need 80+ mineral/trace minerals at all times.
Natural (earth and food based) formulas are typically more bioavailable and easily recognized by our bodies than synthetic versions. The product form, i.e. transdermal lotion or oral supplement in the form of a mineral salt, mineral acid complex, and amino acid mineral chelate all affect bio-availability.
Our Cells Need 80+ Minerals/trace Minerals At All Times
We need 80+ minerals/trace minerals in our tissues/cells at all times. And the more stressed our bodies are, the more our bodies consume minerals. So for anyone undergoing chronic stress who is not supplementing adequately, their minerals will become depleted, potentially contributing to vitamin dysfunction, physical and mental fatigue (perhaps grumpiness), thyroid dysfunction, immune compromise, osteoporosis and more.
The majority of Americans are demineralized and under-nourished.
Natural and Whole Food vs Synthetic Sources
While a good whole food multi-vitamin (non synthetic) is worthwhile, minerals are more important. Clients often ask me about the sources of mineral supplements I consume. I try to use only whole food-based multi-minerals/vitamins rather than synthetic versions, as our bodies assimilate food-based vitamins/minerals much more readily than synthetic versions.
Be sure you consider products that provide adequate levels of selenium, zinc, magnesium, Vitamins A, C, E, K2, etc. Whenever you take your supplements, be sure to consume them with meals that contain healthy fats to increase absorbability, particularly for fat-soluble nutrients. This is especially true for proteins and minerals, so add healthy oils or fats.
Consider These Sources of Minerals
As you consider mineral products for your use, here are some that I have used or continue to use:
- Himalayan Pink Salt Mix, which contains up to 85 micro-minerals. I use it to season foods.
- New Chapter 55+ Every Woman One Daily Multi is a whole-food cultured mutli-vitamin containing at least trace amounts of many minerals and micro-minerals. Each day I take one tablet with breakfast and/or dinner, each with healthy fat.
- New Chapter Fermented Turmeric Force is also a whole-food cultured and fermented source of curcumin, increasing bioavailability up to 24 times that of extracted curcumin, and clinically proven to support bone growth. Learn more: Grow Bone with Turmeric Curcumin! Each day I consume one capsule with breakfast and dinner, each with healthy fat.
- New Chapter Bone Strength is a plant-sourced, whole-food cultured multi-mineral formulated for bone growth. Each day I take one tablet with breakfast and dinner with healthy fat.
- TraceMinerals Research ConcenTrace Mineral Drops contains the full spectrum of trace minerals, as it is concentrated seawater from Utah’s inland sea. As long as I can tolerate the strong taste, I add 20-40 drops to the 96 ounces of water I intend to drink each day or 20 drops in a small amount of water to consume at breakfast and dinner with healthy fat.
- Life Extension Neuro-Mag is Magnesium L-Threonate and able to cross the blood-brain barrier. It does not relax the bowels but aids with memory and cognitive function. I take three capsules with breakfast and dinner and three to four capsules of Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate at bedtime to offer my body another form of magnesium that relaxes my muscles. It does not relax my bowels either. (If you need to relax your bowels to induce movements, know that many clients depend on Natural Vitality Calm (ionic magnesium) as needed to calm the nervous system and/or relax the bowels.)
- Pure Encapsulations Zinc 30 because my particular body needs more zinc for immune support and Pure Therapro Bio Boron because I have had surgeries in the cavitations (jawbone holes) left in all four wisdom teeth extraction sites. Boron is essential for at least a year to help the holes fill back in with bone cells.
- These are in addition to my leafy greens consumption. When I am eating at my best, I typically consume ½ to 1 head of red leaf lettuce (a low-oxalate leafy green) each day.
- In addition – I consume Dream Whey Protein and Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides for bone, skin, hair, nail and joint support.
Iodine Supplementation for Thyroid Support
When in proper balance, iodine and thyroid hormones generally reduce the risk of breast cancer. On the other hand, iodine deficiency during puberty can produce the overgrowth of cells in breast tissue that can contribute to cancer risk.
Breast cancer rates are generally higher in regions of the world where iodine is deficient in the soil. Low iodine levels in the body reduce thyroid function, whereas high levels of iodine can help treat breast cancer.
Seaweed is an excellent source of iodine and is believed to contribute to Japan’s low rate of breast cancer. It also supports recovery for radiation patients, as does chlorophyll from algae, alfalfa, wheat and barley grasses, and other leafy green vegetables.
Be aware that excess iodine can wreak havoc on the thyroid as well, so it is important to consult with a qualified healthcare provider when considering an increase in iodine consumption or its supplementation and to learn about tests to see if you are iodine deficient.
Here is an in-home self-test of the body’s need for iodine:
- Buy a bottle of iodine tincture from the first aid section at your local store.
- As you prepare for bedtime, place a nickel-size amount on the inner bicep or hip and let it dry before putting bedtime clothing on/against it.
- In the morning, inspect the area of application. If the iodine is gone – no more orange color – then your body absorbed it, as the body needs iodine. If the iodine is there – the orange color is still on the skin – then your body didn’t absorb it, as the body doesn’t need iodine.
Cookware and Silverware Leach Metals
While our body needs minerals, it does not need the metals that can leach out of cookware and silverware. Non-stick cookware and plastics have chemicals that can leach into food as well.
Consider replacing plastic water bottles and kitchen storage containers with glass… and metal cookware with lead-free 100% ceramic cookware (including tea kettle, wok, skillets and saucepans).
While I have kept a 12 quart stainless steel stock pot, which I use very infrequently, I supplement my silverware use with bamboo silverware and white porcelain spoons like those used for Chinese soups.
by Tirza Derflinger
Founder, Author, Lead Educator, Speaker, CTT, MBA
Better Breast Health – For Life!™
Reduce Your Risk of Cancer Now
303-664-1139 ● thermogramcenter.com